Bonaroo 2012’s stellar lineup is spotted with exceptional headlining bands like Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Phish, Flogging Molly, and more. With such a powerful lineup of seasoned performers, it can be easy to overlook the newer or just lesser known bands that have just as much to offer on the stage. Here is a list of the top 10 acts we here at B-Sides urge you not to miss:
1. Danzig Legacy – With the original members of Glenn Danzig’s previous band Samhain joining him onstage, as well as former bandmate Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein (Misfits), Danzig Legacy is sure to infect the audience with the very soul of metal and hard rock. This is an in-your-face live performance you’re not going to want to miss.
2. Alabama Shakes – An American rock band best described as a roots rock four-piece has the talent and passion that deserves our respectful attention. Lead singer Brittany Howard’s soulful voice carries an essence of Joplin in it that transcends poetry into pure feeling.
3. The Shins – The Shins have been impressing us since their first album Oh, Inverted World came out in 2001. Songs from their newest album, Port of Morrow, released March 20th, 2012, are sure to make their expected appearance this Bonnaroo.
4. St. Vincent – Annie Erin Clark, aka St. Vincent, has been noted for her unorthodox musical style and cryptic lyrics. The American singer-songwriter plays the guitar, as well as bass, piano, organ and theremin. Known for its wide array of instruments and arrangements, St. Vincent has been described as a mixture of chamber rock, pop, indie, and cabaret jazz.
5. K-Flay – One of the most interesting new voices in hip-hop today, K-Flay is a one-woman force to be reckoned with. On stage K-Flay is creating beats, singing, rapping, and occasionally playing guitar, mixing it up for us and keeping it real.
6. Puscifer – Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle), describes his side project Puscifer as his “creative subconscious”. Maynard’s musical and lyrical brilliance continues to awe and inspire, putting this live performance on B-Sides must-see list.
7. Yelawolf – Yelawolf was hailed as one of Esquire Magazine’s Best New Rappers of 2011. This young American rapper has a rapid-fire delivery with an edge that compares to Eminem.
8. Oberhofer – From Brooklyn, New York, this four-piece indie rock band is primarily based around its founder and frontman, Brad Oberhofer. An energetic stage presence and well-written tunes can be anticipated.
9. Childish Gambino – This 28 year old rapper has been a musical guest on Conan, The Jimmy Fallon Show, and Letterman, but now’s your chance to check out this whirlwind of talent on the live stage.
10. The Avett Brothers – This indie rock band best known for their featured song “I and Love and You”, released in 2009, is a beautiful mix of guitar, banjo, stand-up bass, cello, and drums with overlaying vocal harmonies.